Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Change is Happening

Why do people resist change when change is inevitable? In order for transformation to take place in our lives or in any society, we must be willing to change some things. Change sometimes calls for a new way of thinking; a shift in our paradigms. It is becoming aware of the things that are negatively affecting our lives and the lives of others, and taking the necessary actions to correct those things you can correct.

As with the health care system, President Obama, as well as former presidents saw a need for change in the way the health care system in this country has operated. As a result they have worked to find a way for all Americans to have affordable health care. A project that has been talked about for a century has finally materialized. This happened, as a result of the president’s persistence to bring about change. The fact that this historical event was successful shows the some people are willing to embrace change. Change is happens even in the face of resistance.

When people say that they do not want change, it is sometimes because of fear, selfishness, lack of will power, strength, faith, determination and discipline. Refusing to accept change that is designed to positively affect lives is in a sense discounting or underestimating the power of almighty God, through whom we can do all things. Let this promise give you hope in the eternal, because everything, including change, on this side of life are temporal. Do not fear, little flock, for it is your Father’s good pleasure to give you the Kingdom (Luke 12:32).

Paul contends in Philippians 4:13, I can do all things through Christ who strengtheneth me. You can change the undesirable things in your life if you believe you can. Within you are all the tools you need. You have to personally make the decision to accept change before change can actually occur. Once the step is taken toward change, it is now time to adapt to it.

Adam R. Gwizdala gave a vivid expression of change in the following statement: “Everything in life changes you in some way; even the smallest things. If you do not accept these changes you do not accept yourself. For through these changes bring new and greater things to you, making you wiser, as time progresses. To avoid these changes is a loss. You only live your life once. Do not waste a minute of it avoiding things. Let them come to you, and learn from them. There is always tomorrow.”

When I look back at periods in my life, I have to consider myself both a product and an agent of change, because I have had many changes in my life and each change produced results, and often favorable results. My first big change took place when I was three years old and my parents took me from one parish on the island of Jamaica, (Saint Andrew), to another one, (Portland). They left me with my grand-mother while they migrated to Great Britain. I would not see my mother again until I was about eleven years old, and my father when I was seventeen years old, and in college. I did, however, have regular correspondence with them in the form of letters, since I did not have the luxury of a telephone.

Change came again when I left for another part of the country to attend high school. One of my biggest changes was migrating to the United States. To this day change continues to take place in my life and I prefer to embrace them, rather than to evade them, because I know they happen for a divine purpose.

When I first came to this country, I went to Connecticut and today I live in Arizona. I am enjoying change, and anyone can if they do not resist the idea. All it takes is an open mind, willingness, trust and faith. Great opportunities can come with change.

Pauline Lewinson

No comments: